Axon: Creative Explorations, the journal of the International Poetry Studies Institute at the University of Canberra, publishes work on and of contemporary creativity, poetry, images and design. it is named for the axon, the primary point of transmission within the nervous system and the means of communication between neurons.
Axon: Creative Explorations is an international, open access, peer reviewed journal that publishes works that express or are about creativity and the creative process, including:
- the methods and techniques of artists and other creative professionals
- approaches to creative-led research and the theorisation of creative practice
- the ways in which creative works are made and function
- poetics and poetry, and
- the cultural contexts and theoretical frameworks informing creative practice.
NB: Axon does not accept unsolicited poetry, and the editors will not read unsolicited poems.
Axon publishes two general issues a year, and occasional special or capsule issues.
For this issue of Axon: Creative Explorations we are interested in manuscripts that take on the big issues of the day. Natural, environmental and epidemiological disasters are among the instigators of this issue, but so too are questions of social, economic and environmental ethics, the place of creative practice in contemporary culture (including in cultural and higher education institutions), and the capacity of creativity and creative engagements to intervene in and help remedy individual and collective crises.
- scholarly essay up to 6,000 words
- manifesto or diatribe/rant up to 750 words
- photo essays incorporating a contextualising statement of up to 500 words (send up to 12 images, and the editors will make a selection from those images)
- creative essay incorporating poetry, short fictional prose, images, sound, up to 4000 words; attach a contextualising statement of up to 500 words
- 10 August 2020: due date for submissions
- 31 August 2020: Papers submitted for peer review process
- 10 October 2020: Peer review reports returned to contributors
- 31 October 2020: Final papers submitted to Axon for editing
- 30 November 2020: Issue goes live
Submissions are invited on a continuing basis to Axon: Creative Explorations.
What to submit:
Submissions of articles, essays, interviews, papers and photo essays are welcome. The editors also welcome submission of creative work, other than poems, when accompanied by a 250-word statement that indicates the research aspects of the creative piece. Expected length of submissions is between 500 and 6,000 words, as appropriate to the form.
- All poetry published in Axon will be solicited by the journal’s editors. Unsolicited contributions of poetry will not be read or acknowledged.
How to submit:
• Visit the journal website at http://axonjournal.com.au, and acquaint yourself with the focus and content of previous issues;
• Read information about the journal and the submission and review process at http://axonjournal.com.au/contribute;
• Upload your submission, along with an abstract (max 200 words), a biographical note (max 150 words), your institutional affiliation (if relevant), up to 5 keywords and, for photo essays and other creative work, a 250-word research statement.
Submissions should be between 500 and 6,000 words, depending on the nature of the submission.
Please contact the editors with any queries about length, form and content.